Friday, July 15, 2005

Answered Prayers

If I wasn't clear enough in my last posting, on how much I love my Grandfather...... It is hard to say that someone is your favorite. My favorite Grandma was my Dad's mom, but unfortunately she is in another world. It kills me because I think she would be so tickled to know I am moving to the Holy Land. She was in the Young Zionist movement when she was young. If I have a girl I want to name her Eva.

And my fav Grandpa is my Mom's dad. He is the most interesting person. He has followed his dreams. With a humble and quiet personality he has lived a life he loved everyday. And so here he is 85, and poor as hell, but the happiest person I know, and says he wouldn't change a thing.

So, answered prayers. I went with my mom a few days ago to Auburn, a big town near by. We talked to someone in the Office Of Aging, about gramp's troubles. And after about an hour interview, we felt like a car had run over us. The woman was telling us how she has no help and takes care of her elderly mother too. I turned to mom when we walked out the door and said "If that woman can't pull any strings to get help for her mom, we are screwed!" At which point, mom started to cry. We went and had ice cream and laughed at people we saw and told each other we did all we could do. Now it is up to God and Grandpa Bob.

Well God must have called this morning because grandpa came out of the kitchen to tell my mom that a social worker was coming over tomorrow. He didn't sound angery or shocked. He just said she told him that because of his up coming surgery they wanted to come and see if there were any services they could provide.

This is the biggest load off. It scares me to think of him being alone. Shoveling snow, and carrying things up the stairs. So we will see.


As far as my life and move is concerned: I am 99% packed, which is a great feeling. I am going to end up taking two bags and a carry on as planned. I had a strange realization last night as I was watching the movie Angela's Ashes. After my first five months I will be homeless and jobless and, and..... But today I am more calm. Things will be different in five months. Maybe I will be starting school or entering the army, or have found a job already. The unknowns are crazy. But that movie made those thoughts come out, because the situation is so bad.

Please visit my brother Jonathan's blog. he is in China. Having the same thoughts on life. It is www.jonathansojourn.blogspot.com

Namaste.

No comments: