Thursday, July 28, 2005

Stanger in the Homeland.

I made it! I am here, in Israel. The flight was exhausting. but I got to meet some great people. Adom and Eli where both on the flight and are on my kibbutz ulpan. Eli is only 17, what a crazy thing. Not everyone on the Nefesh B Nefesh flight was religous, which was great to see. Actually when I saw Eli I knew it would be OK, he is a white boy with a head full of dreads! All I could think was OK Im not the only one. I met some really night girls. Laura who will be studying for her masters, and Orianna who is doing Sar-El, too. I also sat by interesting guys. Yoni and Yoni! Yoni works for Jerusalem Report. I think he said his last name is Nes or something, so you can look for him. Other Yoni was a high school teacher in NYC, he was a lot of fun.

As far as the burecratic stuff on the flight; all we had to do is sign our name in five places. We were asked if we wanted to change our name. Crazy huh. When we got off we got money, a health insurance waiver, a free taxi ride voucher and had to sign 5 more papers.

Eli and I road together to the Kibbutz. The sherut (like a big taxi minivan) driver almost killed himself while loading all our stuff. There was another family going to Haifa so they road with. He was a crazy driver and I had flash backs to being in Sherutim before. you take your lives in your hands. Eli's brother road with us. He moved to Israel a year ago and is in the IDF. He was telling his brother all about the army, dos and don'ts. He is a paratrooper in training.

We got to the Kibbutz. And I was so excited. it is beautiful. You travel down this road with rose fields on either side and you are right near the beach. There are so many lush flowering plants on the grounds. Gardens and tons of animals. The dinning hall looks out over the sea. We are about a ten minute walk from the sea. I have not gone yet, because I was advices by Mike, the director not to go alone. There is an Arab village next to the Kibbutz and it is know for still doing such great things as honor killings. So I will take his advice.

But there is a pool that is really nice. I share a room with two other girls. We have a little kichenette and a bathroom. I am tested on Sunday and start classes on Monday. And just so you know. This Ulpan is the best in the country, as far as students test scores. So that is very exciting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mazal Tov! I can't believe you're in Israel - After all these months of discussing. I'm glad you met some other cool young non-Orthodox people on the plane. After reading your post I am once again filled with the feeling that I have to go to Israel - but I'm so proud of you that you did it. Now, you can't really go around saying "Hi...I'm an American" =) Keep adding to your site - I'm living in Israel vicariously through you, so have a slice of Mexican pizza for me.
p.s. In the first pic, your lips look quite pouty - who do you think you are...me? or the Russian kid from Julis? =)

Anonymous said...

Liz,

I have deep admiration for you, having the guts to move to a volital part of the world to experience what you believe in. I am inspired everyday. Live it up and in the famous words of Red Green. "Keep your stick on the ice"

John