Sunday, October 23, 2005

Aunt Ruth



So listen to what I am going to tell you. Human beings do not live forever. We live less than the time it takes to blink an eye, if we measure our lives against eternity. So it may be asked what value there is to a human life. There is so much pain in the world. What does it mean to have to suffer so much if our lives are nothing more than a blink of an eye? I learned a long time ago that a blink of an eye in itself is nothing. But the eye that blinks, that is something. A span of life is nothing. But the man/woman who lives that span, he/she is something. He/she can fill that tiny span with meaning, so its quality is immeasurable though its quantity may be insignificant. Do you understand what I am saying? A man must fill his life with meaning; meaning is not automatically given to life. It is hard work to fill one’s life with meaning. That I do not think you understand yet. A life filled with meaning is worthy of rest. I want to be worthy of rest when I am no longer here. Do you understand what that means?

A passage from the book The Chosen by Chaim Potok.

Strange feelings to be so far away when the ones you love are in pain. I got the news last night that my Great-Aunt Ruth had a stroke. Do you believe that souls collide and feel each other and speak to each other in realms that we can’t see? On Wednesday, My Auntie had a stroke, my mom went to the hospital because she was worried she had a stroke or heart attack, due to pains she was experiencing (mind you, she didn’t know about my Aunts stroke. And luckily she was released without any stroke or heart problem). And I had my severe stomach upset that night. I really think we are so connected. It is beautiful. In that sense I don’t feel so far away at all.

Please read on. This is about my Auntie, please pray for her:

My Aunt Ruth is so old I can’t remember how old 94, 95, 96. And she has been asking for so long for the God Lord to take her away.

As a child, I remember visits with her in Baldwinsville, New York. She would have ice tea and my brothers and I would be so antsy to do something. We would be looking through her drawers and picture and I would hear her tell my mom, “I tell Him every night, Robin; I am ready to go, I have my bags packed.”

What I know about my Aunt Ruth. (Some of it might not be true, but this is what is in my brain) She is the oldest of my mother’s father’s siblings. And she and Grandpa Bob I think were favorites. I have never heard ANYONE say anything negative about her. She truly has a personality and attitude to aspire to.

My grandpa always talked about the old days when he was little and what Aunt Ruth was like. From picture I have seen, she was beautiful. When she was a teenager sometimes she would go places with her father while her mother was tending the other 5 children. The whole neighborhood would start squawking that John was seen walking with some-pretty-young-thing. Then they shut-up when they found out that she was his daughter.

She started dating Al who was quite a few years older than her young 16 years. And as far as I can remember she didn’t finish high school but when to a trade school, or started a secretary job.

Aunt Ruth always told a funny story about when she first started dating my Uncle Al. There was a commotion over the age difference and her being so young. I guess her mom was ok with it but her dad was not. And my great-grandma told my great-grandpa what are you going to do John? ….go with her on her date and put your hand over it?!

She and Al got married very young and spent the rest over their life together. My Uncle died of cancer when I was a little, little girl. That is the first funeral I remember going to. It is hard to explain death to a 3 or 4 year old.

Aunt Ruth had 3 sons. One died tragically in a hurricane. I think this really broke her heart. Her other two boys live successful lives and have children of their own. And she always wished to see grandchildren, but especially granddaughters. And she got that wish.

Aunt Ruth lived in a beautiful house on a river in Upstate New York, till a few years ago. She and her children decided her safety was at risk by her still living in her house. She was able to live there so long, because one of her sons and daughter in-law lived right next door and could help in everyday activities.

She seemed to like the retirement home pretty good at the beginning. But I guess as she said, “I am so old, I have seen so much, dear.”

She really has one of the best hearts I have ever known. There is this belief in Judaism that says the fate of the world rests on 10 righteous people. They don’t know that they are one of the 10, but they hold the world in balance. I really think she is one of the 10. The world will really never see another person like her.

I know this doesn't say much of her personal character, but all who know her know the kind of light she brings to the world. She doesn't have an ugly bone in her body and I think she is very close to God. She really is an extra extra special person.

Please pray for her painless passing. After all that is all she has wanted for so long.







“Lights will guide you home, and ignite your bones.”
“You just want somebody listening to what you say. It doesn’t matter who you are.”
Coldplay- X&Y

No comments: