Monday, September 19, 2005

Oh yeah, The Grass is Green

My mom just reminded me to recheck my spelling on my blogs. Sorry but this blog website has no spellchecker, therefore you have to read my horrid spelling. I guess I said some funny things in my last blog, hopefully no one else got it.

Today, was a long and rather uneventful day. But tomorrow is my test so I am going to sleep early. The days really fly by here. School or work is over at 4pm and then if I want to do anything, study, take a nap, whatever; it is 11pm before I know it.

Actually something interesting did happen today. I spoke with two young men who are going to the US with the Jewish Agency. They will be working with groups of young people, or immigrants, and they wanted my thoughts on the Ulpan so far. They seemed really nice and interesting. I showed them my room and they asked if I would recommend this Ulpan, and how I heard about it. I was the only one representing the USA.

The more people I am meeting from other countries, the more I am really realizing, that America isn't all its cracked up to be. I think as Americans we get sucked into this bubble, that we are the best there is. And America IS a great country and has a lot to offer. But there are other countries out there that are going just fine, not creating wars, and giving there citizens free college.

And also I think we are caught in this sick gas spiderweb. Did you know that in Australia they pay only something like 1.50 per gallon. And they have to ship it all the way to that huge island. Every place pays less than we do and they have smaller cars.

But of course there are things that Americans have that others don't. Like more free-er speech than other countries. I was wearing my shirt that says, "Everyone Loves A Jewish Girl" and one of the woman from the laundry that is originally from Sweden, said you could never wear that shirt in Sweden. Also another Ulpanist, from London, said she wears her's to bed only. It never even occured to me that it would be bad to wear that shirt, or dangerous. Sot that's one point for the US.

No comments: