Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I am sorry I haven't written for a few days. A lot has happened here and I should share spme of it. We now are going on the thrird day of a cease-fire. First of all understand that cease-fire doesn't mean the war or the fighting is over, it just means (not just, it is a big deal) that there are no rockets being thrown from Lebanon into Israel and visa versa. But the troops on the group are still fighting.

2 days before the cease-fire: 60 rockets landed in Israel.
Day before: 250 rockets landed in Israel.

On the kibbutz we had 2 alarms. Two people said they could actually see the rockets fall and then smoke clouds rise. A friend who was in the army tried to assure me that they are not targeting something around us. But they are targeting an airforce base near Tivon (a 15 minute drive). Of course there could be a mistake, but they are not trying to hit us with those longer range rockets.

The first day of the cease-fire a lot of families from the north left.Yesterday even more left. I would be scared to go back so soon, but they want to be home and anyone can understand that.

I was eating dinner in the dinning room the 2 nights ago and noticed this young guy completely turned in his chair staring at me. For a while. It was very uncofortable. When I went ot clear my dishes he asked me in Hebrew if I spoke English. I said yes and he asked if I had been on Julis base 2 years ago.

That was the army base I was on when I did the volunteer program. I couldn't believe it because I didn't remember him, but he remembered me! He was a guest from the north and was leaving that night. It was so weird, I wonder how many other people I will meet because of that time on the base!!!

No comments: